Gasoline

Donkey, Western Machinery Three Drum Yarder

These Case-powered three drum yarders were built in the late 1940’s-early 1950’s to supply the expanding logging market with an affordable yarder and loading machine.

Donkey, Skagit B-20F Yarder, #20A186

The Skagit Steel and Iron Works of Sedro-Woolley, Washington was a leader in gasoline and diesel powered yarders and loading machines after the introduction in the 1920s of the Skagit Little Tugger.

Winch, Novo-Buda #P6736 "Novo Outfit"

The Novo Engine Company of Lansing, Michigan was primarily a manufacturer of gas and kerosene engines. The company started out as Cady and North, who were owners of a small repair shop in North Lansing back in 1890. This company became Cady and Hildreth, and later Hildreth and Son.

Truck, Ford Model TT Delivery Truck

Henry Ford started producing his famous Model T automobiles in 1908, but it wasn’t until 1917 that his company started producing one-ton trucks on a commercial basis. These trucks were based on the diminutive Model T, but had a longer and heavier frame and rear axle.

Tractor, Caterpillar Thirty #863

This tractor, built in 1927, was used by gyppo loggers on the Mendocino coast to pull logs from the woods to small portable sawmills and then power the mill by means of a flat belt drive power take-off.

Tractor, Caterpillar Fifteen

Vrain Conley recently donated his restored Caterpillar Fifteen tractor to the Roots collection in Willits. Construction Number PV2353, the Cat 15 was built about 1930, and spent most of its working life in the Healdsburg area of Sonoma County.

Tractor, Caterpillar Ten

The Caterpillar Tractor Company produced seven tractor models in its first four years of operation, 1925-1929, following the merger of Best and Holt.

Tractor, Sixty Cat

The Caterpillar Sixty (they were commonly called "Sixty Cat") was the first logging tractor to be used extensively in the redwood region, although early Best and Holt products were seen in the woods from the teens on.

Tractor, Sixty Cat and Double Drum Winch

We received two intriguing donations that will soon be tied together forever. Roots member Alan Hill of Fort Bragg recently donated a Sixty Cat that originally operated for Caspar Lumber Company and had been used late in its life as a loading machine with a double drum winch on the back.

Tractor, Fordson Industrial "Lumber Jimmy"

In December of 1997, Morton Friedman of Sacramento donated a Fordson industrial tractor "Lumber Jimmy" to Roots of Motive Power. The tractor differed from the standard farm tractor in that it utilized hard rubber tires, weighted wheels and had a PTO winch on the front.

Road Roller, Buffalo Springfield Gas Roller

The 1920s were a period of transition for most machinery manufacturers as they began to replace steam engines with gasoline engines, especially in the lower horsepower models.

Rail Motor Car, Fairmont M-9

As the industrial age progressed, people utilized the new-found mechanical marvels to make their work easier.

Rail Motor Car, Gibson, PALCO #3

Harry Gibson founded the Gibson Manufacturing Company in Seattle, Washington in 1933. Besides building railroad equipment, Gibson Manufacturing also built small agricultural tractors, rebuilt locomotives and logging equipment, and did general machine work.

Rail Motor Car, Fairmont A3-C

Railroad track maintenance requires the ability to get forces out to the work, and for 80 years that has been by rail motor cars.

Lumber Carrier, Ross Straddle Carrier

In 1913, Harry B. Ross built the first straddle truck at the Stetson-Ross Machine Works in Seattle, Washington. Mr. Ross’ invention revolutionized the movement of lumber around mill yards, and would be replicated in later years by Gerlinger, Hyster, Yale, Caterpillar and a host of others.

Locomotive: Davenport Besler Corp, CA Redwood Co. 101

Wheel Arrangement: 0-4-0
Weight: 20 Tons
Length: 22 feet
Guage: Standard
Engine: LeRoi 6 cylinder gasoline
Construction Number: 2339

Locomotive: Plymouth 0-4-0, Gas

Wheel Arrangement: 0-4-0
Weight: 8-Ton
Length: 14 feet, 2 inches
Guage: Standard
Engine: Climax

Loader, McVey C/N 3

The McVey Loader C/N 3 was built in 1936 by the McVey Machine Shop in Klamath Falls, Oregon. The dream of a mobile loading machine kept many an early logger awake at night. In 1929 Myron McVey and O. V.

Donkey, Skagit #1183 Gas "Little Tugger"

Steam donkeys were still the rage in the early 1920s when little Skagit Steel and Iron Works of Sedro-Woolley, Washington introduced a new machine to the logging world. Powered by a 20 HP Fordson tractor, the double drum winch cost $1300, about the same as the cheapest small steam donkey.

Crane, Bay City Shovels, Inc.

Vrain C. Conley of Healdsburg, a Roots member for several years, has donated to Roots of Motive Power a Bay City Crane, Model Number 25. This crane was manufactured in 1938 and was first sold by Garfield & Co. of San Francisco, CA. It was equipped with a boom and a ditcher.

Crane, "Cherry Picker", W600, S/N 128

Ron McGehee recently donated to the Roots collection a crane, affectionately called the Cherry Picker, which had been an integral part of his father's business - Ukiah Machine and Welding.

Automobile, Ford Model T Constables Car

This Model T Ford Coupe was at one time used right here in Willits by the local constable. The position of constable was originated in England in the mid-19th century. In California, the constable was an official appointed by (and worked for) the court system.

Subscribe to Gasoline